Saturday, March 1, 2008

Get Blogged

Given our class discussion a couple of weeks ago about how to search blogs, I thought it would be appropriate to point out that the new blog directory, Blogged.com launched earlier this week.

Click here for some coverage from the social networking blog, Mashable.

Our class discussion focused around sites like technorati and Google's Blog Search and the different capabilities to search blog content. Blogged, on the other hand, serves more as a directory where users are allowed to search through different categories to search for blogs that cover specific topics.

I recently used it at work to find blogs that covered a specific topic for a research project for one of my clients and found it to be relatively useful. It provides a nice round-up of a variety of different categories whether users go through the categories provided on the site or use the search tool to type in a customized search. When users click on a blog in a search, the site also lists other blogs that are related to the one they are looking at.

Users also have the ability to create profiles and list the blogs they frequent adding a type of social bookmarking aspect to the site.

Blogs are ranked on an editorial scale based on frequency of updates and the quality of writing, according to an article on Webware. The article also noted the Blogged.com team will replace its ratings with user ratings if they get enough user reviews.

It's a helpful site for finding blogs on specific topics and finding blogs similar to the ones you already read so give it a chance and get blogged.

On a quick note: My posts might be a little sparse within the next week simply because I'm enjoying my last Spring Break before I enter into a world where Spring Break doesn't exist. Given it's my first one in four years since I was always on co-op during the spring semester, I'm going to take advantage of it.

No comments: